Wednesday, January 7, 2009

No new Apple Mac Mini disappoints, utterly

I’ve been waiting for a new mac mini. Waiting, for over a year. I’ve always wanted a Mac mini because the mini does what other Macs don't (save for the Mac Pro); the mini allows you to get an Apple Mac and still use your existing monitor and keyboard.

I, like most people was eagerly awaiting a new Mac mini which (we all thought) would be announced at the 2009 Macworld Keynote held yesterday. The new Mac mini (theoretically) was to finally have respectable graphics capabilities (using the same graphics processors in the new Macbooks). We all thought such a mini would be announced, we were wrong.

I’m so disappointed because I was going to buy two minis (one for me, one for my wife).

I have long been a defender of Apples ‘people don’t know what they want until you give it to them’ attitude because (and I really don’t care who wants to argue the point) they make great products. More or less: everything you want, nothing you don’t. The mac mini was (almost) everything I wanted without having to buy a new monitor/keyboard which I already have. So where is the new Mac mini? What have you done with our new mini apple?

Some people even went further and predicted a product between the Mac mini and the Mac Pro. Something with more processing power and graphics clout than the mini but not quite up to the specification of the Mac Pro and therefore a better price. That is actually the machine I want because I just need some decent graphic capabilities. I want a little mini computer (not a big ugly tower) that runs Mac OS X and can play games with some respectability.

I also used to defend Apple Mac’s limited product line. Too much choice can be a bad thing, but Apple should realize, not enough choice often IS even worse!

Apple, where is the new mac mini? Or don’t you guys ‘get’ playing games?

Apple, you know what? I am now soooo tempted to build a hackintosh humph!

No comments: